Sunday 6 June 2010

Yum!

One of my favourite things about Paris are the patisseries, or more so, the quintessential Parisian Macaroon! These small but perfectly formed morsels of pure joy seem to be everywhere you turn in this amazing city. Stacks and stacks of brightly coloured circles, in every flavour you can think of - Rose Petal, Raspberry, Hazelnut,  Blackcurrant Violet, Chocolate, Lily of the Valley, Orange Blossom....to the downright wrong....Olive Oil and Tomato!?! Gadds!



They are housed in opulent 'boutiques', with rows of rainbow 'jewels' behind glass cabinets....a set-up more on par with a high-end Jeweller than a dowdy bakery! Two of the most famous Macaroon patisseries being the original Ladurée and the equally amazing....if not slightly better Pierre Hermé. 




And packaging to die for, beautiful boxes with foil blocked logos, tied with ribbons and tissue. God, I just LOVE that patter! A little affordable luxury...


Anyway, I thought Harrods in London would be the nearest place to sample these again....until I discovered somewhere a little more closer to home. My sister-in-law told me about Betty's, a famous Yorkshire bakery/cafe that she visits every time she travels to Harrogate for courses. I discovered they made their own Macaroons so she very kindly brought me home a box, thanks Jude! They were so yummy, and not only that, a great subject matter to photograph....




With such a posh treat I had to break out the fancy cups...this one being my new fave, I picked it up at a local antiques shop a wee while ago...








After seeing these pics I've been inspired to dig out my watercolours, think this would make a lovely painting!



On the subject of food...we have been getting stuck into the garden these past couple of weeks...and with that, have visited possibly every garden centre in the North East of Scotland (much to my husband's joy, not!). The thing is with the garden centre nowadays is that sells just about everything else too....cards, wrap, cushions, clothes, bread, meat....a total nightmare if you are only nipping in for some bedding plants and a bag of compost! You could lose a few hours of your life in there, easy! My husband had to literally drag me from the Emma Bridgewater corner!! 

Then there are the food halls......sooo much £5 jars of chutney to choose from!! I really think making chutney for a living could be the key to wealth and prosperity.... honestly £5 for a jar of jam!?! Crazy! But to be fair, it was nice and I keep buying it. But seriously...pickles - a license to print money?



Picked up a jar of my favourite Fig Jam. They also do Quince, Gooseberry and Damson, all sooo yummy with cheese, which we also picked up.....a nice Isle of Arran cheddar with Stem Ginger...



...which I used to make toasted cheese and sliced fig sarnies. Yum!

All this food, cakes and pretty crockery makes me think how amazing it would be to run a wee tearoom! A little idea of mine and something that Aberdeen is sorely lacking! Have I found a niche? Probably not but there's no harm in dreaming!

x

2 comments: